Our Community Health Worker Training program is offered online in a virtual classroom setting. Students who successfully complete the program learn the required skills needed to be successful in the healthcare field. Becoming a CHW allows you to be an advocate for patients while giving back to your community. Our current program is offered twice a year in the spring and fall. Apply today: bit.ly/ESAHEC_CHW
The Maryland AHEC (MAHEC) CHW curriculum provides a 140-hour (100 hours classroom/40 hours practicum), competency-based training that covers the 9 Maryland Department of Health core competencies:
- Advocacy and community capacity building skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Cultural competency
- Understanding of ethics and confidentiality issues
- Knowledge of local resources and system navigation
- Care coordination support skills
- Teaching skills to promote health behavior change
- Outreach methods and strategies
- Understanding of public health concepts and health literacy
Although unified under the MAHEC Program name, the CHW training is scheduled and delivered by each of the 3 regional AHECs
- Specialized training (i. e. Diabetes, HIV, Sickle Cell etc.)
- Small classroom setting
- Join a network of professionals engaged in healthcare
- In person CPR BLS Certification offered for local students
- Certified CHW program in the state of Maryland
- Since 2013, MAHEC centers have trained over 400 CHWs who are employed in health departments, hospitals, community-based agencies, AHECs, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and many others.
- Our talented instructors represent an array of experiences in education, healthcare, and human services.
- The MAHEC CHW Training Program offers competitive pricing for groups and individuals.